Get ready for a feast of football as the A-League and Westfield W-League return for the 2020/21 Season!
Both competitions are set to get underway on December 27th and Glory Chief Executive Officer Tony Pignata is delighted at the prospect of Glory hitting the pitch once more.
"It’s very exciting to now have a date set for the start of both the A-League and Westfield W-League Season and our teams returning to action," he said.
"I’d like to thank our Members and fans for their ongoing support and we look forward to the Glory Family being reunited when the 2020/21 Season gets underway."
The new calendar means that the majority of the season will be played concurrently with the grassroots football season and Head of Leagues Greg O'Rourke believes that the timing is ideal for a number of reasons.
"This year’s calendar sees us kicking off two seasons of Australia’s best football on the same day, right in the middle of summer," he said.
"The men’s competition now features 12 teams, including three in Sydney and three in Melbourne, meaning more derbies, more intensity and more fans.
"With families at home together during the holiday season, great weather and games broadcast live on multiple platforms, there are so many ways for fans to be close to the action, at home or in the stadium."
What do we know?
- A-League regular season to finish at the end of May, with the Finals Series to then begin in June
- Westfield W-League Finals Series to be completed in April
- Both leagues will feature midweek football as part of condensed fixturing
- A-League Structure - 12 teams and 26 Rounds
- Westfield W-League Structure - 9 teams and 14 Rounds
- The 161 men’s matches will be played over 23 weeks, with the Grand Final set for June and the women’s 57 games will finish with a Grand Final in April
- Matches will be broadcast live on the My Football Live App, FOX SPORTS and Kayo, with selected matches on ABC TV
- The full fixture schedule for both leagues, including broadcast details, will be released in early November
While there is still plenty to be clarified, we can confirm that all clubs are in preparation for this start date.
Stay tuned for more details...
December 27th - we go again!