Socceroos firmly on radar

Socceroos regular Mile Sterjovski said he and fellow Australian Internationals Chris Coyne and Jacob Burns were not concerned after the Glory trio were omitted from Pim Verbeek’s side to play South Korea in a friendly next week.

Socceroos regular Mile Sterjovski said he and fellow Australian Internationals Chris Coyne and Jacob Burns were not concerned after the Glory trio were omitted from Pim Verbeek-s side to play South Korea in a friendly next week.

Jason Culina and Shane Stefanutto were the only A-League players to make the 24-man squad however Sterjovski said he has spoken to Verbeek and was assured he, and his Glory team mates, remained part of the Dutchman-s plans.

“I knew it might have been on the cards because of the fixture lists, we play on the Friday night with the Glory (versus Central Coast in Canberra) and the Korea match was the next day,” Sterjovski said.

“It gets rid of a headache because you don-t want to choose, I definitely want to be playing for the Glory and obviously for the Socceroos but this way the decision has been made for me and I'm looking forward to concentrating on the Glory.

“We spoke with Pim and he made it clear that he didn-t want to disrupt us from our Glory preparations.

“We-ve had a bit of a slow start to the season he wanted us to do the best for our club and said he looked forward to seeing us in October (when Australia tackle the Netherlands).”

Sterjovski has been used in a variety of positions and looked dangerous in attack without troubling the scorer and will be hoping to register his first goal of the season when he lines up against Melbourne at ME Bank Stadium on Friday night.

“I like playing everywhere as long as I-m helping the team. It has been a bit difficult settling in I guess but as you can see last week we got the result and played quite well and I-m looking forward to the upcoming matches and getting more points on the board.”