Perth Glory has been defeated 3-1 at home for only the second time this season in its ROUND 14 clash against Adelaide United at nib Stadium.
The spotlight was on Andy Keogh from kick-off, as the Irishman made his season debut, but it shifted to Chris Harold soon after in the 6th minute when he played a key part in opening the scoring. Richard Garcia had the ball wide left and sent a cross into the area. Harold was there to pick it out and sent the ball flying past Eugene Galekovic, although the deflection off Reds defender Tarek Elrich saw it credited as an own goal.
Adelaide equalised in the 27th minute. Sergio Cirio provided the finishing touch on a well-executed team goal, with Bruce Djite and Marcelo Carrusca combining in the lead up.
In the 45th minute the hosts were delivered a blow when Alex Grant was shown a straight red card for clipping Craig Goodwin as the last defender, forcing Glory to play the entire 2nd half with 10 men.
The visitors took the lead in the 47th minute thanks to Carrusca. The Argentine spun at the top of the box and then dribbled past Mitchell Oxborrow, before firing a low shot across the face of goal and into the back of the net.
At the death, Craig Goodwin finished the scoring with a counter attack goal, giving the visitors the 3-1 win.
Despite the loss, there were positive signs for Glory with Youth Team captain Jacob Collard making his Hyundai A-League debut. The Indigenous Australian and two-time Most Glorious Player’s only other senior appearance was in the first round of the 2015 Westfield FFA Cup.
- 6’ Chris Harold scores a header assisted by a Richard Garcia cross
- 12’ Richard Garcia fires wide of the far post with a shot from distance
- 14’ Harold nearly scored his 2nd of the match with a chance at point blank range, his shot over the bar
- 15’ Jacob Collard makes a superb tackle in the box to stop Tarek Elrich
- 17’ Josh Risdon slides in to prevent a chance for Bruce Djite
- 20’ Craig Goodwin tries his luck from outside the box but fires it high and into the stands
- 24’ Djite turns and fires with his left from just inside the box, but his shot goes wide
- 27’ Sergio Cirio equalises, set up by Djite and Carrusca
- 30’ Goodwin heads straight into the hands of Ante Covic
- 37’ Garcia picks out Diego Castro with a perfect cross, but the Spaniard hits the near post with his shot
- 40’ Alex Grant makes a perfect tackle at the top of the box to deny Goodwin
- 43’ James Jeggo fires on target, but Covic is there to make the save
- 45’ Grant shown a red card for clipping Goodwin as the last man in defence
- 45’+1 Covic with a huge diving save on a well-taken free kick from Goodwin
- 47’ Marcelo Carrusca dribbles past Oxborrow and fires past Covic for Adelaide’s second
- 53’ Harold’s shot loops into the hands of Galekovic
- 54’ Another chance for Harold, blocked by a defender and missing the far bottom corner by inches
- 59’ Cirio curls a shot on target, but Covic gets low to make the save
- 62’ After a superb sliding tackle from Aryn Williams the ball falls to Carrusca for a shot, saved by Covic
- 62’ Djite with a low shot on the turn, Covic gets a hand to it and then gathers
- 72’ Josh Risdon with a curling effort with his left missing it inches wide
- 78’ Turning volley from Andy Keogh misses high of the target
- 85’ Williams with a header chance off an Oxborrow free kick forcing a save out of Galekovic
- 90’ Pablo Sanchez with a chance in front of goal but skies it high
- 90’+1 Castro finds Joe Knowles at the back post with a cross, his header collected by Galekovic
- 90’+4 Goodwin scores on the counter attack to make it three for Adelaide
WHAT THEY SAID
“I think when you get a man sent off, it’s very difficult. Especially with a team that tries to keep the ball like them.”
“I thought everyone on our side put on a good show. They (Adelaide United) ask enough questions when you have 11. You can’t fault the effort of the 10 guys out there.”
“Andy (Keogh) worked ever so hard, he was always available, great game tonight. Linked up well, put them under pressure.”
Perth Glory: 1. Ante COVIC (GK), 2.Alex GRANT, 7, Gyorgy SANDOR, 9. Andy KEOGH, 11. Richard GARCIA (C) (15. Hagi Gligor 66’), 14. Chris HAROLD (24. Jamal Reiners 71’), 17. Diego CASTRO, 18. Mitchell OXBORROW, 19. Josh RISDON, 25. Jacob COLLARD (28. Joe Knowles 88’), 29. Aryn WILLIAMS
Adelaide United: 1. Eugene GALEKOVIC (GK) (C), 2. Michael MARRONE, 4. Dylan MCGOWAN, 8. ISAIAS Sanchez, 9. Sergio CIRIO, 10. Marcelo CARRUSCA (7. Pablo Sanchez 80’), 11. Bruce DJITE (19. Eli Babalj 72’), 16. Craig GOODWIN, 18. James JEGGO (14. Geoge Mells 90’), 21. Tarek ELRICH, 23. Jordan ELSEY
Scorers: Chris Harold 6’, Sergio Cirio 27’, Marcelo Carrusca 47’, Craig Goodwin 94’
Red cards: Alex Grant 45’
Yellow cards: Jordan Elsey 35’, Marcelo Carrusca 73’, George Mells 93’
Conditions: 26 degrees and humid
Glory’s next match is Saturday at home against Melbourne City.
Kick-off for that match is 6:40pm AWST and tickets are available HERE