Three minutes of magic by the Nebo "The Specialist" Marinkovic has helped Perth Glory FC to a dramatic 2-1 come-from-behind win over Central Coast Mariners at nib Stadium.
The Mariners opened the scoring in the 28th minute through Roy O’Donovan, the centre forward racing onto a Storm Roux through ball and slotting past a charging Ante Covic.
In the 62nd minute Marinkovic equalised with a superb free kick. 'The Specialist' lined up over the ball just outside of the box and sent his shot flying past Paul Izzo, beating the ‘keeper at the near post.
Two minutes later he gave the hosts the lead on the counter-attack.
Chris Harold flicked a smart ball onto Marinkovic, who took a touch before finishing at Izzo's near post for the 2-1 win.
- 9’ Back-heel flick from Richard Garcia leads to a Chris Harold shot from the top of the box, sent centimetres high.
- 14’ Nebo Marinkovic forces a diving save out of Paul Izzo with a driven free kick from 20m out.
- 20’ Matthew Sim free kick from just outside the box sails high over the far post.
- 23’ Ante Covic positions himself well to tip away a Nick Fitzgerald curling effort for a corner kick.
- 25’ Diego Castro tries a left-footed effort on target, saved by Izzo.
- 40’ Alex Grant gets on the end of a Marinkovic free kick but sends his header just over the crossbar.
- 42’ Grant again on the end of a Marinkovic free kick, this time heading it across the face of goal, but a lunging Richard Garcia just couldn't reach at the back post.
- 47’ A diving header from Roy O’Donovan glances wide of Covic's far post.
- 53’ Ante Covic positioned well to deny a blasted shot from Fitzgerald.
- 55’ Grant gets on the end of another set piece delivery, heading it straight at Izzo.
- 57’ Covic does well to thwart Fitzgerald again, this time on a rocket shot through the legs of Marc Warren.
- 67’ Diving header from Richard Garcia flies just wide of the near post.
- 72’ Covic in position to collect a curling effort from Anthony Caceres.
- 76’ Aryn Williams drives a low strike at the near post, punched away by Izzo
- 82’ Glory defenders collapse on O’Donovan, the ball deflecting out for a goal kick.
- 90’ Harry Ascroft’s header right in front of goal goes over the bar.
WHAT THEY SAID
"Everyone will be happy. Hopefully it’s the start of something moving forward. The application from the players, especially in the first half was excellent. We came out in the second half and I think we earned it, to be truthful.”
“It’s not about now, it’s where we sit at the end of the season. But obviously this result gives us a bit of confidence and we move on from here.”
“Last few games we played, we created many chances, but we couldn’t score. Tonight we showed some character and in the second half we came back and I’m happy to score.”
“It’s very important for the confidence of the team, and very important for our next game on Wednesday against Victory.”
Perth Glory: 1.Ante COVIC (gk), 2.Alex GRANT, 3.Marc WARREN, 7, Gyorgy SANDOR, 10.Nebojsa MARINKOVIC, 11.Richard GARCIA (c), 13.Diogo FERREIRA, 14.Chris HAROLD,17.Diego CASTRO (24. Jamal Reiners 80’), 23.Michael THWAITE, 29.Aryn WILLIAMS
Central Coast Mariners: 1.Paul IZZO (GK), 2.Storm ROUX, 3.Josh ROSE, 5.Harry ASCROFT, 6.Mitch AUSTIN (19. Josh Bingham 60’), 8.Nick MONTGOMERY (c) (20. Anthony Kalik 74’), 9.Roy O’DONOVAN, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Nick FITZGERALD (24. Jake Adelson 80’), 15.Matthew SIM, 16.Liam ROSE
Scorers: O’Donovan 28’, Marinkovic 62’, 64’
Red cards: nil
Yellow cards: Ascroft 6’, Grant 19’, Rose 64’, Reiners 84’, Ferreira 90’
Conditions: 21°C, humid
Glory will look to ride their momentum from the win into Wednesday’s match against Melbourne Victory at nib Stadium.
Tickets to that match are available HERE