Harold double in vain as Glory are downed by Roar

A brace from Chris Harold could not prevent Glory from being edged out 3-2 by Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday evening.

The 25-year-old's first goals of the season cancelled out go-ahead efforts for the hosts from Avraam Papadopoulos and Ivan Franjic, before a 73rd-minute strike from substitute Brett Holman ultimately decided a pulsating Round 17 clash.

Even after Holman's goal there was still time for both Massimo Maccarone and Diego Castro to strike the woodwork and Glory had the Roar defence creaking in the dying moments but were ultimately unable to secure a share of the spoils.

The game burst into life almost immediately when Papadopoulos, the former Greek international, popped up at the back post to divert home a Fahid Ben Khalfallah free-kick which had been inadvertently flicked on by Jeremy Walker.

Within eight minutes, however, Glory were level as Castro's sublime through-ball bisected the Roar defence and Harold raced clear before rifling in a low shot that beat home 'keeper Jamie Young at his near post.

Harold celebrates


With Castro drifting into pockets of space and tormenting the Brisbane defence, Glory proceeded to control much of the rest of the first half and yet it was Liam Reddy who was the busier of the two goalkeepers before the break.

In the 20th minute, he used his legs to prevent Papadopoulos from doubling his tally for the night and on the stroke of half time, the former Roar man again came to the visitors' rescue, this time foiling Maccarone at point-blank range after the Italian met a fine cross from Jack Hingert.

The first chance of the second period fell the way of Glory, Joel Chianese racing clear only to be denied by a fingertip save from Young, although replays showed that the ex-Sydney FC man had strayed offside anyway.

But on the hour-mark, Roar restored their lead via another set-piece as Khalfallah's free-kick was nodded home, this time by Franjic.

Yet just as they did in the first half, Glory responded swiftly, Keogh whipping in a low cross from the right and Harold shrugging off the attentions of several defenders before finding the net.

Five minutes later, it was 3-2 to the hosts when Maccarone got in behind and laid the ball back for Holman who clipped a low shot past Reddy.

And the end-to-end action continued in a thrilling final quarter, with Maccarone striking the bar for Roar and Castro then being denied by the post as he tried to slide home a delightful cross from substitute Marc Warren.

That was as close as Glory came to levelling the contest for a third time, with the result leaving Kenny Lowe's men in eighth spot on the ladder.

They return to action on Sunday 28 January when Western Sydney Wanderers will provide the opposition at nib Stadium.

Hyundai A-League 2017/18 Season Round 17

Brisbane Roar 3 (Papadopoulos 4', Franjic 60', Holman 73') Perth Glory 2 (Harold 12', 68')

Half time: 1-1

Referee: Kris Griffiths-Jones

Assistant Referee 1: David Walsh

Assistant Referee 2: Andrew Lindsay

Fourth Official: Casey Reibelt

Video Assistant Referee: Mathew Cheeseman

Brisbane Roar FC: 21.Jamie YOUNG (Gk), 3.Luke DEVERE,  6.Avram PAPADOPOULOS, 7.Thomas KRISTENSEN, 9.Massimo MACCARONE, 11.Corey GAMEIRO (10.Brett HOLMAN 61'), 14.Fahid BEN KHALFALLAH (16.Mitchell OXBORROW 90+1'), 17.Matt MCKAY (c), 19.Jack HINGERT,  24.Connor O’TOOLE, 77.Ivan FRANJIC (20.Shannon BRADY 64')

Substitutes not used: 31.Brendan WHITE (Gk), 36.Daniel LECK,

Yellow cards: DeVere, Franjic, Holman, Ben Khalfallah

Red cards: None

Perth Glory:  33.Liam REDDY (Gk), 4.Shane LOWRY, 7.Joel CHIANESE (26.Jacob ITALIANO 71'), 8.Xavi TORRES (24.Callum TIMMINS 61'), 9.Andy KEOGH (c), 14.Chris HAROLD, 16.Joseph MILLS, 17.Diego CASTRO, 20.Jake BRIMMER (3.Marc WARREN 78'), 23.Scott NEVILLE, 29.Jeremy WALKER

Substitutes not used: 13.Nick FEELY (Gk), 37.Walter SCOTT

Yellow cards: Harold, Lowry

Red cards: None