The Hyundai A-League 2015/16 Season kicks off in October with three blockbuster rounds featuring a Sydney Derby, Melbourne Derby and an Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory blockbuster at Adelaide Oval to give fans a turbo charged start to Season 11 of Australia’s premier domestic football competition.
The season will burst into action on Thursday 8 October as the Western Sydney Wanderers host Brisbane Roar, kick-starting a season that will run uninterrupted through to the Hyundai A-League 2016 Grand Final, which will played on Sunday 1 May 2016.
Round one of the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 Season will feature the traditional interstate Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory clash at Adelaide Oval on Friday 9 October. The following day the Central Coast Mariners begin their campaign against Perth Glory which will be followed by the Sydney FC v Melbourne City FC meeting at Allianz Stadium. The opening round will be completed on Sunday 11 October with the Newcastle Jets travelling across the Tasman to face Wellington Phoenix at Westpac Stadium.
The Summer holiday period will once again be full of traditional football fixtures with the Western Sydney Wanderers FC v Newcastle Jets on Christmas Eve, Sydney FC v Central Coast Mariners on Boxing Day, the return of the iconic Central Coast Mariners New Year’s Eve fixture against Wellington Phoenix, the Western Sydney Wanderers FC v Adelaide United on New Year’s Day and Melbourne Victory lining up against Sydney FC on Australia Day (26 January).
Head of the Hyundai A-League Damien de Bohun, was proud to unveil the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 Season draw today.
“The Hyundai A-League season draw is highlighted by some fantastic fixtures In the opening three rounds to excite the Members and fans with all clubs playing at least one match at home during that period,” De Bohun said.
“The Members and fans have consistently asked for consistency in the fixtures which we have ensured with no club playing more than two consecutive matches away during the 2015/16 Season, a huge win for the supporters of all 10 clubs.
“Without the constraints of an AFC Asian Cup or other major events to consider we are confident that we’ve been able to develop a fair and equitable draw for the clubs in terms of rest periods and travel.
“Today is an exciting day for football fans as we begin the countdown to Season 11 of the Hyundai A-League.” concluded de Bohun.
The key features of the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 Season draw include:
- Opening Round of the Hyundai A-League 205/16 Season begins on 8 October 2015 with the Western Sydney Wanderers hosting Brisbane Roar FC at Pirtek Stadium
- There will be seven (7) Thursday night fixtures throughout the season with five (5) consecutive Thursday Night Football Matches across Rounds 5 to 9 of the Hyundai A-League Season includes a Socceroos 2018 FIFA World Cup Asian Qualifier on Thursday night during Round 6.
- Introduction of a new Sunday 7pm (AEST/ AEDT) kick-off time for five (5) matches
- Sydney Derbies – Rounds 3 (24 October), 15 (16 January) and 20 (20 February).
- Melbourne Derbies – Rounds 2 (17 October), 11 (19 December) and 19 (13 February).
- Melbourne Victory vs Sydney FC – Rounds 6 (14 November – FIFA Window), 16 (26 January/ Australia Day) and 21 (27 February) – meaning the first Grand Final rematch will take place at Allianz Stadium in Round 6.
- Adelaide United vs Melbourne Victory – Rounds 1 (9 October), 8 (28 November) and 20 (19 February).
- Round 18 (5-7 February) will be the Play Football Round
- Etihad Stadium fixtures – Melbourne Derby (Round 2), Melbourne Victory vs. Wellington Phoenix (Melbourne Cup Eve in Round 4), Melbourne Victory vs. Adelaide United (Round 8), Melbourne Victory vs. Sydney FC (Australia Day in Round 16) and Melbourne Victory vs. Western Sydney Wanderers FC (Round 18).
- The following fixtures at alternate home venues have been incorporated:
- Round 1 – Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory – Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
- Round 9 – Wellington Phoenix v Melbourne Victory – QBE Stadium, Auckland
- Round 10 – Brisbane Roar FC v Wellington Phoenix – Cazaly’s Stadium, Cairns (first ever Hyundai A-League Regular Season Match in Cairns)
- Round 14 – Central Coast Mariners v Melbourne Victory – Simmonds Stadium, Geelong
- Round 14 – Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets – ANZ Stadium, Sydney
- Round 17 – Wellington Phoenix v Central Coast Mariners – AMI Stadium, Christchurch
- All AFC Champions League Match Days for participating clubs have been accommodated –including Round 27 where details of three matches will be confirmed following the AFC Champions League Draw which will be conducted in December 2015.
- No clubs will travel back to back between Wellington and Perth.
- Fixtures may need to be re-scheduled in Round 5 due to the Westfield FFA Cup Final which is scheduled for Saturday, 7 November at 7:30pm AEDT.
· Hyundai A-League 2016 Finals Series will begin on the weekend of 15-17 April 2016.
· Hyundai A-League 2016 Grand Final will be played on Sunday 1 May 2016.
· Fox Sports will show all matches of the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 Season and Hyundai A-League 2016 Finals Series exclusively live.
· SBS TV will broadcast Friday night matches live and the Hyundai A-League 2016 Finals Series on a one-hour delay.
· ABC Grandstand will broadcast all matches of the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 Season and Hyundai A-League 2016 Finals Series on local radio or digitally via the Grandstand app or website.
For all membership, ticketing, news and match information including exclusive behind-the-scenes content on the Hyundai A-League visit www.a-league.com.au.