Perth Glory FC has extended its winning streak to three matches with a 1-0 win over Wellington Phoenix at Westpac Stadium on Sunday.
Chris Harold was the hero, winning the match with a 21st minute header. Nebo Marinkovic whipped a free kick into the box from the right side of the pitch and Harold leapt to meet it with his head, knocking it past Glen Moss for his 4th goal in as many games.
The home team’s best chances came just before halftime, with Michael McGlinchey firing on target in back-to-back minutes, his first effort blocked by Shane Lowry and his second smothered by goalkeeper Ante Covic.
Glory had the better chances in the second half, Nebo Marinkovic with the best of them, forcing a desperate save from Glen Moss in the 52nd minute.
The win moves Perth within five points of sixth place, now a full six points clear of the bottom three.
Glory travels from Wellington to Sydney next to take on Sydney FC on Saturday.
Perth’s next match at nib Stadium will be on February 20, hosting Brisbane Roar.
ADULT tickets to the match will be priced at $20 for any seat in the house.
- 14’ Joel Stevens fires on the half volley from just inside the box, tipped over the bar by Ante Covic for a corner kick
- 21’ Chris Harold gets his head on the end of a Nebo Marinkovic free kick and heads it home past Glen Moss in Wellington’s goal
- 28’ Covic leaps to snag a looping shot from Blake Powell
- 34’ Another Marinkovic free kick leads to a headed goal, this one for Gyorgy Sandor, but the Hungarian is flagged for offside
- 37’ Stevens takes a crack from the top of the box, missing it wide of the far post
- 43’ Shane Lowry makes a block in front of goal to deny a Michael McGlinchey shot
- 44’ McGlinchey again, this time from close range but Covic makes the save to preserve the lead
- 52’ Marinkovic curls one toward the far post, but Moss leaps to make the save and tip it out for a corner
- 56’ Andy Keogh free on a breakaway, his first shot blocked and his follow-up clatters the post
- 60’ Roly Bonevacia fires a free kick over the crossbar
- 80’ Louis Fenton with a header from the penalty spot, but he loops it high over the bar
Perth Glory: 1. Ante COVIC (GK), 2. Alex GRANT, 3. Marc WARREN, 4. Shane LOWRY 7, Gyorgy SANDOR, 9. Andy KEOGH, 10. Nebojsa MARINKOVIC (17. Diego Castro 75’), 13. Diogo FERREIRA (21. Kosta Petratos 46’), 14. Chris HAROLD, 19. Josh RISDON (C), 23. Krisztian Vadocz
Wellington Phoenix: 1. Glen MOSS (GK), 2. Manny MUSCAT, 4. Roly BONEVACIA, 6. Dylan FOX 8. Alex RODRIGUEZ (23. Matthew Ridenton), 10. Michael MCGLINCHEY, 12. Blake POWELL, 16. Louis FENTON, 19. Tom FENTON, 22. Andrew DURANTE (C), 28. Joel STEVENS (11. Kwabena Appiah 66’)
Scorers: Harold 21’
Red cards: nil
Yellow cards: Harold 39’, Vadocz 45’, Fox 62’