Taggart brace not enough as Sydney claim Premiership

A second-half double from Adam Taggart proved in vain as Sydney FC secured the Premiership with a 3-2 win over Glory at nib Stadium.

The visitors were two goals up inside the opening half-hour through Adrian Miezerjewski and Bobo and the Brazilian then grabbed a second to make it 3-0 at the break.

To their credit, Glory bravely battled their way back in the second-half, with Taggart providing some hope for the home faithful by netting twice in the final 18 minutes.

Kenny Lowe's men were just unable to complete what would have been a remarkable comeback, however, with their first home defeat since early January leaving the WA side still one point outside the top six ahead of the weekend's remaining Round 25 fixtures.

The hosts started the contest brightly, with Diego Castro enjoying plenty of time on the ball and switching play neatly during the opening exchanges.

And yet it was the league leaders who drew first blood in the 12th minute through Miezerjewski. Liam Reddy saved Bobo's initial volley after the striker had been put in on goal by Milos Ninkovic's dinked pass over the top, but the loose ball fell kindly for the Pole who made no mistake from eight yards.

And the Harbour City side then doubled their advantage via the penalty spot. The VAR was brought into action once again, deeming Dino Djulbic's challenge on Matt Simon to have been an illegal one and Bobo duly stepped up to make it 2-0.

Despite Glory's best efforts to work their way back into the game, Sydney made it 3-0 before half time, Bobo notching his 24th goal of another stellar campaign after latching on to a Miezerjewski through-ball.

Perth emerged from the sheds keen to make amends for a difficult opening 45 minutes, with Kenny Lowe introducing Adam Taggart and Chris Harold off the bench in place of Joel Chianese and Andreu respectively.

And the substitutions seemed to energise the men in purple, with Taggart working tirelessly in the final third. The striker forced Andrew Redmayne into a sprawling save on 68 minutes with a fizzing, long-range strike, but was not to be denied moments later. Chris Harold's superb, defence-splitting pass opened up a one-on-one opportunity for the Socceroos frontman who finished with great poise to reduce the arrears 18 minutes from time.

The 24-year-old then made it 2-3 in sublime fashion, curling a stunning effort into the top right-hand corner from outside the area.

The home fans lifted, sensing that a stoppage-time equaliser might be on the cards, but it wasn't to be as Sydney survived a tense final five minutes to secure yet another piece of silverware.

Glory return to A-League action on Friday 6 April when they face Newcastle Jets at McDonald Jones Stadium.

Match Details

Perth Glory 2 (Taggart 72'. 89') Sydney FC 3 (Miezerjewski  12', Bobo (pen) 29', 39')

Half-time: 0-3

Attendance: 7742

Referee: Kris Griffiths-Jones

Perth Glory: 33. Liam REDDY (GK), 4. Shane LOWRY, 7. Joel CHIANESE (14. Chris HAROLD 46'), 8. Xavi TORRES, 9. Andy KEOGH (C), 16. Joseph MILLS (2. Alex GRANT 76'), 17. Diego CASTRO, 18. ANDREU (22. Adam TAGGART 46'), 23. Scott NEVILLE, 66. Dino DJULBIC, 88. Neil KILKENNY 

Unused substitutes: 13. Nick FEELY (GK), 15. Brandon WILSON

Yellow cards: Djulbic 28', Lowry 83', Taggart 85'

Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE, 4. Alex WILKINSON (C), 5. Jordy BUIJS, 8. Paulo RETRE, 9. BOBO (14. Alex BROSQUE 62'), 10. Milos NINKOVIC, 11. Adrian MIEZERJEWSKI (12. Fabio FERREIRA 76'), 13. Brandon O'NEILL, 18. Matt SIMON, 19. Christopher ZUVELA (3. Ben WARLAND 90+2'), 26. Luke WILKSHERE

Unused substitutes: 20. Aleksander CISAK (GK), 17. David CARNEY

Yellow cards: Ninkovic 80'